1. Skin is the largest organ in the body, it's made up of over 50% water.
2. Skin capillaries carry some blood from the deeper layers of the skin and return it to the vessels that supply the superficial cells.
3. When an inflammatory response is initiated by skin contact with environmental factors or an irritant, the skin’s defence mechanisms are activated.
4. Acnegenic substances such as oil, dirt and sebum (skin secretion) plug the tiny sebaceous glands and block the flow of skin cells and oil to the surface. Acnegenic bacteria ( Propionibacteria acnes ) multiply rapidly in these disturbed skin conditions and set off an inflammatory reaction.
5. The treatment of acne is aimed at reducing the inflammation and restoring normal skin function.